03 January 2010

Salve?

Hello everyone,

This is Mika's mommy posting. I wanted to get all of your opinion on which salve is good for a dog's paws. I play fetch with Mika a lot in our back yard and we have lava rock in some places. When I throw the ball, I avoid those patches, but sometimes the ball bounces off Mika's mouth and bounces into the lava rock. Mika runs full speed into the lava rock, and I can tell he doesn't like running in it, but in the rush of the moment, I guess he thinks it's a good idea. Anyways, I was wondering what's a good salve to help heal up the rough paws, but not make his paws too soft so it makes his paws sensitive for walking on the sidewalk. So basically, something that will help heal cracked paw pads, but not make it sensitive.. I guess you can say keep those callouses.

I saw the salve on this site (while I was looking at the foldable bowl from Winnie's blog): http://www.tazlab.com/v/vspfiles/V4_Backup/tl_Salve.htm but I wanted to get your opinion on what has worked for you. If you have a homemade recipe that has worked for you, could I have it please? It doesn't happen often enough to have him use booties, but I would like to help his paws out.

Thank you ahead of time for your opinions,
Mika's mommy

4 comments:

Shizukesa said...

We use Musher's Sercret. We live in Vancouver and the salt on the sidewalks had been very hard on our shiba's feet. This is an all natural product so I don't panic when she licks her feet after it's on.

Shizukesa said...

We use Musher's Sercret. We live in Vancouver and the salt on the sidewalks had been very hard on our shiba's feet. This is an all natural product so I don't panic when she licks her feet after it's on.

Unknown said...

Hey Mika,

I have only once used a salve on Winnie's feet - she once got a few cuts on her pads when we went hiking. I didn't buy anything special - but had some ointment from when she had demodectic mange. It's something called Nustock - and it's used mainly for horses. The only problem is that it's topical and not meant to lick. However, it smells so bad that most dogs wouldn't lick. The tazlab Joshua Tree Pet Salve sounds pretty good, and I have heard of Musher's Secret. Dr. Harvey's also has a Healing Cream that can be licked and is all organic/non harmful.

D.K. Wall said...

Musher's Secret. Great product.